Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rereading an Old Friend

We took a trip this weekend to visit family.  I was able to take the opportunity to begin rereading Sally Fallon's wonderful, life-changing book, Nourishing Traditions.  I am reminded all over again how much impact this book had on my life.  I have not even gotten through the beginning of the book and already I am making notes, remembering ideas and working out a few recipes I had forgotten about.  I plan to reread Dr. Price's Nutrition and Degenerative Disease again when I finish this book.  Apryle is reading Sally Fallon's book Healing our Children.  I am looking forward to reading that when she finishes.

I was also able to go to an amazing Farmer's Market.  There was a representative from Organic Pastures there and it was so early in the morning we were able to have a visit and he gave me some raw milk to put into my coffee.  My brother and sister in law tried some, bought some and hopefully will make a permanent switch.  They read the page on raw milk out of Nourishing Traditions.

This is one of two companies in California that provide raw milk, cream and butter.  The guy selling it was so knowledgable about the entire process.  He talked about the cows being grass-fed and how that keeps their guts at a neutral pH.  This way bacteria, virus and other yuckky stuff does not thrive.  It works the same way in humans.  I was able to buy a small carton of Kefir - although they spell it Quofer and it is made from colostrom.  The texture was weird, but it tasted OK.  I plan to just remember why I want to drink the stuff in the first place :)  It is full of live cultures - different than the other ones in my life.

All in all, it was a wonderful weekend.  I am grateful to God every day for his opportunities.

Cindy

2 comments:

  1. Mom, I would like to read your book when you are done. I just got my Healing our Children book today so I have plenty of reading ahead of me but I would like to incorporate that in as well since a lot of what I have been reading has talked about nurishing traditions. Thanks! By the way the blog is a great way to keep up with all the information. Thanks for doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Healing our Children book sounds interesting. I'll add it to my list of books to pick up.

    ReplyDelete