In Andalusia, most gazpacho recipes typically include hard bread, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, garlic, olive oil, vinegar or wine, onion and salt. The following is a typical method of preparing gazpacho:
- The vegetables are washed and the tomatoes, garlic and onions are peeled.
- All the vegetables and herbs are chopped and put into a large container (alternately, the tomatoes may be puréed in a blender or food processor.
- The soaked bread is then added (optional)
- Some of the contents of the container are then blended until liquid, depending on the desired consistency.
- Chilled water, olive oil, vinegar and salt are then added to taste.
- The remaining contents of the container are added to the liquid, then briefly puréed until there is some texture remaining for garnish. (optional)
- Garnishes may be made with fresh bell pepper slices, diced tomatoes, or other fresh ingredients.
A recipe with measurements (for you control freaks :)
Ingredients6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 purple onion, finely chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 sweet red bell pepper (or green) seeded and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
6 or more drops of Tabasco sauce to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (omit for vegetarian option)
4 cups tomato juice
MethodCombine all ingredients. Blend slightly, to desired consistency. Place in non-metal, non-reactive storage container, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, allowing flavors to blend.