Monday, May 10, 2010

Salsa

Salsa

Tomatoes in various colors (each color is a different acidity and gives your salsa a complex flavor) 
(you can blacken some of them for smoky flavor)
Sweet and Hot Peppers - seeded and blackened in a cast iron pan
Tomatillo
Onion
Garlic
Cilantro
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne
Cumin
Cucumber - with the peels on and I like to put the bitter end in for complex flavor
Lime juice and zest
Whey

I don't have amounts.  What I do is go and pick in the garden and throw everything into the food processor.  I blend it to chunky and season it to taste.  It tastes different every time.  It is a family favorite.

The whey cultures the tomato mixture and adds all kinds of wonderful health benefits.  This is an enzyme rich, antioxidant rich, nutrient dense food that packs a big health punch!

3 comments:

  1. I still have a partial jar of lacto-fermented salsa in the fridge from the end of last summer...today, I bought some local tomatoes (hydrofarmed) to make some more! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to mix with sour cream and salsa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And throw in some sauerkraut for good eats...

    ReplyDelete