Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The House Around the Corner - Evelyn Fields

Melissa has been learning a lot of "old" new skills.  Sourdough bread is just one of them.  She has a lot of interesting ideas on saving money, sewing, attempting to live a life without plastic, running a small business from home and other great ideas.  If you are interested in reading her blog, go to Evelyn Fields
  
Melissa's Sourdough Whole Wheat Bread
  • 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup sourdough starter
  • 3/4 tablespoon kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt)
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • Covered pot (five-quart or larger cast iron, Pyrex, ceramic, enamel…something that can go into a 450F oven.)
  • Sprouted Wheat Flour, if you choose.  This should be done ahead of time.  Sprouted Grain Directions
I have been experimenting with making bread with sprouted whole wheat.  I love bread but my body doesn't and I think sprouting it helps me digest it better.  It is one more process that is easy to do.. It does take a few days and you need a wheat grinder.

1. Mix dough: The day before, combine all ingredients in a big bowl with a wooden spoon until the dough just comes together. Cover with wet cloth and let sit 20-24 hours on the countertop or in the oven with the oven light on if your house is cool.

2. Shape and preheat: Dump the dough on a floured surface. Fold ends of dough over a few times with the spatula and nudge it into a ball shape. Generously dust a cotton towel (not terrycloth) with flour and set dough in it.  Fold towel over the dough. Let it nap for 2 hours or a lot longer to rise more. To know when it is done rising poke your finger into the dough, when it stops springing back from the hole you made... it it ready.


3. Bake: Pre heat oven to 450 and place empty pot in oven for 1/2 hour. Remove hot pot from oven.  Holding towel, dump wobbly dough into pot. Doesn’t matter which way it lands. Turn down oven to 400 and bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover, bake another 15-20 minutes or until the crust is beautifully golden and the middle of the loaf is 210F. Remove and let cool on wired rack.


I made Sprouted Sourdough Rye Bread for the first time last night. It has a strong taste so it took me a few bites to start liking it but my husband LOVED it!!!


Making bread usually involves some type or rising, double rising or soaking overnight and a towel is needed to keep unwanted things off and moisture in. I have been using whatever towel I had around for covering the dough and sometimes wondered about lint on it or what I had used it for before it was washed. So I made a towel that is just for rising bread, with a cute little slice of "sprouted" bread on it.  This way it only has one purpose.  Also it looks cuter than my old/stained towels sitting out all day or night on my counter.  These new towels will be in my shop soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment