Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The House Around the Corner - Key Lime Pie

Goat's Milk is something I have been trying to develop a taste of for a long time.  I have come a long way, but am not quite there yet.  One of my favorite all time things is a latte made with half fresh goat's milk and half cow's milk, so there is hope for me.

Even without developing a taste for goat's milk, I had a couple of pieces of this key lime pie.  It was so GOOD!  I have not tried making it yet, but plan to one of these days.  Bright, tart, refreshing and healthy.

Here is another wonderful recipe from Katherine's Kitchen!

Cindy


Key Lime Pie
Crust:
2 cups ground almonds
(I use ones I have previously soaked and dried)
1 cup dates
½ tsp salt
Soak dates in ½ cup boiling water. When they are soft, run them through a food processor till smooth
Then add almonds,( I also added a tbsp of ground flax seed). Spread into a greased pie pan.

Filling:
2 cups homemade cream cheese 
(yogurt you’ve strained overnight through cheese cloth)
1/3 cup agave or honey
1/3 -1/2 cup lime juice
Grated peels of 1-2 limes
Combine these set aside.

Combine
3 beaten eggs
1 packet of gelatin
(check out MaryJane Butters online for gelatin alternative called chillOver powder)
MaryJane's Farm - ChillOver Powder 
½ cup milk

Wisk over low heat until thickened, combine with cream cheese mixture.
Pour into pie shell and chill.
You can substitute  1-2 cups fresh or frozen berries in place of lime for a berry pie.

My daughter said this pie was better than any key lime she’d ever tasted! I think it’s so important to be creative with desserts and be able to offer your friends and family delicious treats. Enjoy these in small quantities, they’re rich. I encourage my kids to take small bites and savor them.

Proverbs 23:3 talks about being careful not to crave the food of a ruler, his food is deceptive, or to be given to gluttony. My understanding of the deception is extravagant rich desserts and foods (prepared by servants) may charm your senses, but they will do much harm to your body without you really understanding the relation between the two. I think of the servant food we eat as being fast food, or processed food. Once you start making desserts this way other stuff just doesn’t taste so yummy.

Katherine

5 comments:

  1. You're killing me with all these yummy desserts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it! The key lime was killer good. She is a great cook and makes the most beautiful desserts. I am going to try these.... in a spare moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed your posting yesterday! I might have found a raw milk source an hour a way that is willing to just give us their extra milk. It is from a ranch that was listed on the Eatwild.com site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks so good & what great healthful ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine has worked hard the past few years to convert family recipes back to healthy, nourishing ones. They are always good. She tried a wilted spinach salad that I really too.

    ReplyDelete