Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sourdough Communion Bread

It appears to be my turn to make communion bread.  I always delay it as long as possible, hence.... December is usually the month I am pulling it together.  This year, I want to try a Sourdough Communion Bread, more like a cracker than we usually have.  The recipe that I ended up with:





Sponge:
1 cup starter
1 cup flour
let sit overnight 
(I always have a sponge going.  I just pulled two cups out and went from there)

Dough:
2 cups sponge
approximately 1 cup flour 
(1/2 white, 1/2 fresh ground wheat/barley)
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp honey
1/3 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt

(you could also add about 1/4 tsp baking soda, if desired)

This came together in the mixer with the dough hook until it had the consistence of pie crust.  I then let it rest for a couple of hours before working it into crackers.
Cracker Formation:

Work in small batches.  First, separate the dough into 4 equal chunks.
Roll out very thin

sprinkle a little salt on top and press in, if desired
pierce all over with a fork

use a pizza cutter or something like that to score
 bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes

This recipe made approximately 300 pieces of communion bread.

Cindy

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy, I was wondering if I could get in touch with you and I don't know how to do that through the blog. I'm good friends with Bliss Quimby, Tessa's sister, and she told me about your blog. I've been a WAPF member for years and I'm about to have my first child and have a few questions if you have time. My email is siobhan@shoreline-engineering.net Thank you, Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siobhan, I think my e-mail must have gone into your spam. I would love to talk with you.

    You can e-mail me at astepofhealth@gmail.com

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of crackers - just waiting for the energy I guess~!! thanks for your recipe. blessings and peace be over you and your home this year.

    ReplyDelete