Thursday, February 24, 2011

A simpler life

Anyone that follows the stock market, commodity prices, the dollar and news events is probably getting somewhat uneasy.  Commodity prices have been steadily rising for months and have really shot up recently.  This is for multiple reasons - manmade and natural disasters, unrest in the world, too many people living off of the "system" and not putting into it, too much borrowing and not enough saving, terrible political decisions in multiple countries... the list goes on and on.

It is not helpful to live in the spirit of fear that is permeating our world.  One of my favorite scriptures is in 2Timothy 1:7......   For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.   BE ADVISED  it is the better part of wisdom to look ahead and make wise decisions for your family..... not in a spirit of fear, but in a useful, responsible way.

No matter where you live or what you do, you can make your situation more stable.  Proverbs has a lot of wisdom concerning living in wisdom or in folly.  If you have not read through Proverbs lately, you should.  Just look at today's date and read that Proverb.  Here are a few samples.

A wise man fears and departs from evil,
      But a fool rages and is self-confident. 
Proverbs 14:16
Every prudent man acts with knowledge,
      But a fool lays open
his folly. 
Proverbs 13:16

No matter where you live, you should look around and see what local resources are at hand..... then learn to use them.  This is wisdom, not fear.  When you learn in a non-emergency situation it is a lot easier.  Add knowledge and skill one layer at a time so no one is overwhelmed.  If I had tried to feed my family sourdough bread baked on the wood stove 3-4 years ago no one would have eaten it..... including me.  I probably would never have attempted a full on farmer's breakfast on the stove, but now it is very possible.  We have changed over time.


I have already posted this video, but am posting it again with a caveat from my sister.  She said the pictures make everything look easier, cleaner and faster than it really happened.  We have just made one step after the other after the other.  Each person works within their strengths..... or develops new strengths.  For example, my hubby had a milk cow when he was younger.  Bonnie would much prefer him to milk her and gives the most milk to him.  This is not practical for us.  I have had to learn to milk, and my sister is next.  It doesn't matter what is the easiest, this is a new skill we must develop.

Ask yourself these questions....
  • Does my family produce more than they consume?
  • Is the bulk of my food local and sustainable?
  • If it is not, do I have an ample supply on hand for an emergency situation?
  • Can I slowly change the way my family eats, lives, cooks and plays to be more sustainable?
  • Do I know how to produce food and energy for my family?
  • Do I have a skill, knowledge or resource that I can barter with?
  • Can I convert grass into protein? 
  • Do you know how to garden?
  • If you have a garden.... do you use heirloom seeds?
  • Do you know how to properly save and reuse your seeds?
A side note.... Baker Creek Seeds is my favorite non GMO, heirloom seed company.  We plan to add a section of garden for the animals this year. 

Questions like these help you think ahead in a non-emergency situation.  When a power outage or other disruption occurs, use the opportunity to practice some of your skills.  Do you have to run to the store regularly?  Rethink that.  Then when the next disruption occurs, try again.  Instead of complaining, figure it out.  Do laws need to be changed so you can have a wood stove in an area RICH with firewood?  How about backyard chickens?  Do zoning laws need to change?  What has to happen so you can live more sustainably?

Living a simple life brings a peace that is beyond wonderful.  We are not quite there yet, but we persevere.  Stay close to God, eat local and fresh, be prepared, be a good neighbor, learn to function closer to where you live.  Be content.

Cindy


12 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish we could have chickens.....I miss the eggs and I HATE paying $5.00 a dozen for eggs. I think I need to be more vigilant in finding a local farmer that CAN have chickens and buying them for less the $5.00! Good word :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. last saturday was candice's birthday. since we had no power i made cinnamon rolls IN the wood stove. thought you would be proud of me:) it was a "little house on the prairie" moment. one day i will blog about it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, that is amazing. How in the world did you do that? I hope you took pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, I really hope you can find a local farmer that you could work with. It would be so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, just for the record....we can't all bombard Cindy when times get tough so use what she is willing to teach now to prepare for the needs of your own families. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thank you Cindy for taking the time to post what you are learning so we all can benefit : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really, Cindy can just be a guide. A reminder of what is possible. We all have to find out what works for our own family and circumstances. We all have to climb the "learning curve."

    We all need to try new things and share what we learn.

    Be a blessing today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully said as always! I'm making my garden plans today or sometime this week. Thank you so much for all the inspiration! Jodi said you had not been to the grocery store in like 3 weeks, That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have just been having simple foods using what we have. I did send Joey to the store the other day... For potatoes, carrots and onions. I am definitely rethinking those three in my garden. I think I need a lot more. Good for you with the garden plans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Cindy. You guys have definitely had more than your share of bad and tough weather this winter. Thank you for being an inspiration and an encouragement to everyone. God is up to something and its good. I grew up having redundent systems. We had 2 types of heat, kerosene laterns if the lights went out, and plenty of preserves. I believe God is planting this seed back into Christian's hearts and it's good to see. Be blessed...and be warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly, the blog you guys do and the choices you have made and shared with all of us have been inspiring and so informative. Please keep sharing.

    I do know that as soon as the weather is better we are working hard on firewood along with everything else. It has been one of our best resources.

    I also believe God is planting this seed of preparation. Be blessed. I look forward to seeing what is happening in your part of the world. I know this weather is minimal to what you guys have - your ideas and solutions help us all. One of my favorite sayings is "we don't all have to invent the wheel" It is good to be open and share the good, the bad, the dirty, the ugly.... and the solutions. :)

    Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well timed post Cindy! (I diddo Kelly's remarks). I am so excited about the two new additions to your farm! Keep up the great team work. Kelly and I both feel that our family will have an opportunity to visit you some day - I look forward to it! In the meantime... keep sharing. You are much appreciated - thank you.

    ReplyDelete