Friday, January 29, 2010

Cultured Mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup

Making a switch to organic, healthy, slow foods might seem expensive at first. One way you can bring down your grocery bill is to make some of your own condiments. Mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup are just some of the foods which can be made quickly and easily. You are also adding really wonderful fats, enzymes and cultures to your diet - and taking out another processed (and ridiculously expensive) food. It is a win/win.

One of the links has a wonderful recipe for both mayonnaise and a ranch salad dressing. There is probably a ketchup recipe there as well if you just ramble around the site. If you try one, could you share what works for you. This is something I have been neglecting in our house. I just finished off the mayo, read the ingredients, and decided I would make my own.  Here is a recipe that Lynette made:

Cultured Mayonnaise

3 egg yolks
2 tsp palm sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp lime juice
3/4 to 1 cup grapeseed oil
1 Tbsp Whey

Put egg yolks in food processor, pulse 5 times, add sugar, salt, vinegar and lime juice, and whey then mix for 10 seconds. Leaving food processor running pour oil in a slow steady stream no more than 1/4 inch wide. It should take about 2 or 3 minutes to pour in all the oil. Optional- add 1 Tbsp boiling water at the end (this makes it fluffier).


Leave this on the counter for about 7 hours to culture.  It should last at least a month in the fridge.

Important tip:

Use room temperature egg yolks and oil and don't forget to label your container :)



I have never made the ketchup myself, but I have tomato paste which I cultured last summer. It is still fresh and beautiful in the fridge. I also did cultured salsa last summer.


Here is a recipe someone could try for mustard.

Edible Aria

Remember to not get overwhelmed, just try one new thing at a time, and keep studying and trying. I always tell myself "different is NOT bad, it is just different"

Best of health
Cindy

3 comments:

  1. whats palm sugar? will regular sugar work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. palm sugar is a natural sugar. Regular sugar should work fine. Lynette could probably give you some of the natural sugar if you wanted to try some.

    Be sure to let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added 1/4 tsp mustard and a little more lime to this and it was a great addition. We never buy best foods anymore, I'm so happy. If anyone knows of a good source for grapeseed oli please let me know. Right now I get it at trader joes.

    ReplyDelete