noun: biome; plural noun: biomes
- a large naturally occurring community of flora and fauna occupying a major habitat, e.g., your body (ok, I added this :). A forest or tundra.
- Eat a lot of good fats (coconut oil, olive oil, butter from pastured cows, cod liver oil, etc.) A minimum of 2 tablespoons per day.
- Drink raw milk from pastured cows if it is within the realm of possibility. Add raw cream to your coffee. A lot. Enjoy it thoroughly.
- Eat something lacto-fermented every day. Live sauerkraut is probably one of the most wonderful things you can do for your body long term. Kim Chee is awesome. Discover everything lacto-fermented. Make up something and give it a try.
- Eat pastured eggs from a local source if it is within the realm of possibility. The yolks should be bright orange. Can you have chickens where you are? A backyard chicken coop is not a lot of work.
- Drink something live with enzymes every day. (Kombucha tea, Kefir, Apple Cider Vinegar, Coconut Vinegar - something along those lines.)
- Eat grass fed protein (beef, chicken, pork)
- Soak all grains, nuts and beans. This means sourdough bread and soaking and drying nuts. Beans, rice and lentils, of course, should be soaked with a bit of whey or apple cider vinegar and the water drained off before cooking. Do you have a crock pot? Do you cook much? Most of this is not hard and you do it ahead of time. I do a lot on weekends and coast through overfull weeks. Make soaked granola. Have fun!
- Eat cultured and organic milk products (yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese). Add kefir in some form to your diet EVERY DAY. There are so many good and easy recipes.
- Make bone broth. Have some several times a week. Cook beans or rice or soup in it or drink it like a tea. Dirt cheap and easy.
- Exercise 20 minutes per day. Frankly, yoga and pilates with some aerobics and weight training are almost the best thing for long term. Honestly, "The Biggest Loser" has some of the best workout DVD's for at home that I have found. $9 at Wal Mart.
- Find a holistic doctor or chiropractor if it is possible. The way we often practice medicine is criminal (IMHO). Will not rant here. :)
- Go organic. Go local. Go fresh. Fruits, vegetables, everything. There is a host of reasons outside of the chemical thing.
- Take a good, food based multi-vitamin that is in powder or liquid form. Don't waste your money on pills that are shaped up with binders and fillers. Most of it just goes right through you. We use "All-One" Senior formula. We take it in the morning with a little Kombucha tea and juice. There are other really wonderful choices.
REMOVE THIS FROM YOUR LIFE:
- Do not use antibacterial products on or
in your body. They kill off your biome (the web of healthy bacteria
that works symbiotically with our bodies inside and outside to provide
bacterial warriors against nasty bacteria, virus, pathogens, or other unpleasant organisms.)
- Anything made from GMO's. They are evil beyond belief (IMHO). It is best to not put stuff into your body that might cause problems. You have a "bad blast" and your gut can be ruined. Just sayin'
- ANYTHING that has soy in it. Men should NEVER EVER EVER EVER drink soy milk or eat soy. It messes with your manhood. Women pregnant with boys should NEVER include soy in their diet. Boy babies should NEVER drink formula made from soy (almost the only thing available) The ONLY exception is a properly lacto-fermented soy sauce, in moderation.
- Anything hydrogenated, fractionated, or something you cannot pronounce. Read all labels. This basically eliminates about 80% of processed foods (which are dead and rob your body of life anyway)
- Cereal that has been extruded (is it in a shape? It has been extruded - stick to soaked granola. super easy to make.)
- High levels of stress. The B vitamins will help with this.
- Grains, nuts and seeds that have not been soaked.
- Get some of the sugar out of your life.
- Any milk product that has been homogenized. A gentle pasteurization is ...... ok..... but raw-non homogenized is better. If it is homogenized, treat it like something nasty.
- Avoid like the plague anything that has
High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. It also goes by hfcs now. Don't touch
the stuff. It is nasty for your liver and your insides and almost
impossible to eliminate.